Top Ten List: The Boys of Winter
1) Herb Brooks is dead- This is a very important piece of this book because Herb played a huge role, being that he was the head coach. Also, the prologue of this book is about Herb’s funeral and how popular it was. This was an intelligent move by the author because by mentioning Brooks’ death in the prologue, it really sets his legacy as you read through the book.
2) Good book for hockey players- This book is an excellent choice for hockey fans and players, especially in the
3) Soviets defeated the
4) Jim Craig- He was the phenomenal goalie for the Americans who stopped a ton of shots. He established his heart as well as his skill throughout the whole game, making save after save after save. Jim Craig’s father, who had not been to any of his other games, was in the stands, which made Jim want to impress him.
5) Mark Johnson- He was a center for the American team, and scored 2 goals in the semifinal game vs. the
6) Mike Eurizione- He was the captain and leader of the American team, and was (and still is to this day) famous for scoring the winning goal with just 10 minutes left to play. The final score of the game ended up being 4 to 3. “‘If that’s how people want to remember me, that’s fine,’ Eurizione said once. ‘I have no problem being remembered for one thing. Some people never even have that.’”
7) Teamwork and Hard work- Those two things won the game for the
8) Boris Michaelov- The
9) The Soviets were the kings of the hockey world- For decades prior to the Olympic Games, the Soviets were the most dominant hockey team in the world. Also, with all the drama between the
10) The fans gave the players hope- The rink that this game was played was packed to the brim with all the fans who were watching the game. Throughout the whole game, you could hear the fans chanting “U-S-A! U-S-A!” and it gave the players an extra boost of energy, especially after they had just been scored on.